Monday, October 01, 2007

Experts, pundits, academics, and journalists weigh in on the issue

Ok...! It's time to let the "experts and pundits," the former beauraucrats, present academics and ever-lasting journalists have their say!

Guess what I found on YouTube?

"Traffic in L.A. Panel Discussion: The Ever-Lasting Gridlock?"

It took place on March 29, 2007 at the L.A. Press Club moderated by treasurer and board member, Rory Johnston. The panelists included:

-Tom Rubin, "former Administrator of Public Transport in Southern California."
-James E. Moore II, "Professor of Engineering at USC, he's an expert on the technology side" (in Mr. Johnston's words)
-Ted Balaker, "a journalist who has his particular views on the issues."

This video is the "Video News Advisory", and Mr. Johnston promises, or rather hopes, the following:

"We're hoping to really clarify the issues and come up with some solutions that nobody else has ever thought of, and then we'll be able to be driving with ease from here to eternity."

Mr. Johnston must be a tad facetious or disingenius because I have to tell you: I viewed and listened to the whole thing (all five video parts of the panel discussion) and I didn't hear a single thing that was new. I did hear a lot of clarifications on the federally-mandated and political roadblocks to improvement and a lot of clarifications "on the technical side" (the correlation between capacity and congestion), but I didn't hear anything new or inspiring or ground-breaking or enlightening.

Not to rain on anyone's parade and you can judge for yourself, but somehow, after listening to the whole panel discussion, I was left with the feeling that, if we could somehow, by magic, give these three panelists the power to do whatever they wanted to fix traffic in Southern California, the whole thing would end up just as it is now: a mess. I mean, come on, one of the panelists was a former beauraucrat, somebody, who, when he was in office, had the power and influence to make a difference. I didn't hear him take any responsibility for the current state of affairs or offer any truly enlightening or ground-breaking suggestions. Just more of the same. Actually, the one "solution" they all seem to agree on, "tolling," is the one I disagree with (but more on that later or see my posting Would taxing the Modern Hell (rush hour) turn it into the Modern Heaven (traffic-free cities)?).

But anyway, judge for yourself. I'll post all five video parts of the panel discussion and respond to each one individually.

Speaking of technology, we've got the latest technology--well, YouTube, courtesy of parent company Google--to deliver their message to you...

LA Traffic Panel Discussion - Video News Advisory



If you really want my opinion (don't answer that! it's rhetorical! ;-), the best thing about the whole thing, other than getting some kind of public discussion about the issue going, was the use of Jimi Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic" as background music for this video clip. He was great! He wouldn't make a great L.A. driver with this attitude, but he reflects beautifully the way we all feel in traffic...

Crosstown Traffic by Jimi Hendrix

You jump in front of my car when you,
You know all the time that
Ninty miles an hour, girl, is the speed I drive
You tell me it's alright, you don't mind a little pain
You say you just want me to take you for a ride

You're just like crosstown traffic
So hard to get through to you
Crosstown traffic
I don't need to run over you
Crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I'm tryin to get on the other side of town

I'm not the only soul whos accused of hit and run
Tire tracks all across your back
I can see you had your fun
But darlin' can't you see my signals turn from green to red
And with you I can see a traffic jam straight up ahead

You're just like crosstown traffic
So hard to get through to you
Crosstown traffic
I don't need to run over you
Crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

----------------------------------------------

Make it viral. Make it vital. Spread the word...

No comments: