Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Telecommuting: count the benefits

According to this article in reuters - Telecommuting found to boost morale, cut stress - 46 studies on telecommuting find it not only good for employees and their employers but also for the urban communities they live in.

And that's the best part for our purposes here: they found that telecommuting cuts down on traffic and eases congestion in metropolitan areas. If your boss needs convincing, here's some ammunition for you!

So pass this article around to everyone in your office, especially the "big bosses"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Relocating to LA:

Readers,

I'm in the process of relocating to LA from Washington, DC (which has its own traffic problems). My fiancee has accepted a position in West Hollywood, and we're looking to live in the Fairfax, mid-wilshire neighborhood. Great for her, and I like the city, so I'm happy. I've been interviewing with a company based in Grenada Hills, and it seems like a really good fit for me. However, it's all the way up there. Since I'm not from LA, I have a few questions:

Is the 405 just as bad northbound in the mornings and southbound in the evenings as the other way? It seems that most of the traffic would be from the valley to west LA, but I don't know. Is there any other good way to get over the hollywood hills? Here in DC, I cycle commute, and 20 miles each way isn't that big of a deal, but that probably isn't an option when I have a mountain range between me and my destination. Any public transit options? MTA says I need to leave at 6:50 to get to work by 9:00 via public transit, which is ridiculous. Or is this idea hopeless and should I focus my search in the LA basin and forget about the valley?

Any advice would be great, feel free to drop me an e-mail at corey@lanummusic.com